Can Greivis Vasquez Bounce Back?

Greivis Vasquez was a good solid player before injuring his ankle last season. In fact, Vasquez was one of the players that sparked the Raptors turnaround in 2013. In 2013, the Toronto Raptors struggled to open the season. In December the Toronto Raptors traded Rudy Gay to the Sacramento Kings for Greivis Vasquez, Patrick Patterson, John Salmons, and Chuck Hayes. The intent of this move for the Raptors was to get Rudy Gay’s salary off the books and tank. Salmons and Hayes didn’t provide much of a positive impact for the Raptors on the court. However, Vasquez and Patterson were the secret sauce that helped the Raptors make the playoffs.

Shop for NBA gear at Fanatics

What Does Vasquez Bring to the Nets on the Court?

Vasquez is no star, but he does enough things well to positively impact a team. He’s a solid playmaker that can also score. Vasquez’s career averages are 9ppg, 4.8apg, 2.6rpg, FG 41.8%, FT 81.7%, and 1.9tpg. “60% of the time you love to watch him every time.” When Vasquez’s shot is falling you are falling in love with him as a player. However, he’s very ball dominant so the other 40% of the time he can be frustrating to watch. Overall Vasquez provides a positive impact on the court.

What Does Vasquez Bring to the Locker room?

Vasquez is a super optimistic player. His veteran presence should do wonders for young players like Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Caris LeVert. A team like the Nets needs its players to buy-in after coming off a horrific season. If this team can come together in training camp and the pre-season and gel they might be able to surprise some people this season.

Why Does Vasquez Signing Make Sense?

Signing Greivis Vasquez is a low risk with a medium reward upside. If Vasquez is able to come back at full strength he will add depth to this Nets team. If he doesn’t, what did the Nets lose? Furthermore, if the healthy the Nets might be able to flip Vasquez at the trade deadline for a pick or a young player. When the Raptors flipped Vasquez to the Bucks they got, 2nd round pick, Norman Powell, and the Clippers 2017 lottery protected 1st round pick. Not a bad haul. The Nets core of Jeremy Lin, Caris LeVert, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, and Brook Lopez could use a power forward. Some young power forwards the Nets could target are Bobby Portis (Bulls), Henry Ellenson (Pistons), Noah Vonleh (Blazers), Cheick Diallo (Pelicans), Frank Kaminsky (Hornets), Kevon Looney (Warriors), Trey Lyles (Jazz), and Dario Saric (Sixers).

When the Rajon Rondo experience leaves a bad taste in Chicago’s mouth they might look to add another guard. Bobby Portis has shown flashes of being a capable stretch four and has the upside to be a David West. The Pistons just drafted Ellenson, but if something happens to Reggie Jackson they will need an emergency replacement at guard. Ellenson can stretch the floor and rebound, but struggles defensively. Vonleh probably won’t play much for the Blazers because they have depth and are trying to win now. A couple years ago the Blazers traded for Arron Afflalo to make a playoff push. Do they do it again this year? Can Vasquez be that guy? The Pelicans are under massive pressure to win now. Tyreke Evans is still hurt and Jrue Holiday is expected to miss time to be with his wife, as she is about to give birth and needs brain surgery. Rookie, Cheick Diallo, is very raw and probably can’t help the Pelicans win this season. However, he could be a target for the Nets as his defensive potential is through the roof.

Frank Kaminsky struggled in his rookie season with the Hornets. If he struggles again to start this season the Hornets might feel it’s time to pull the plug. Also, the Hornets are still looking for backup for Kemba Walker after the Nets stole Jeremy Lin this summer. Kaminsky has the potential to be Ryan Anderson without being a liability on defense. The Warriors lost Leandro Barbosa this summer so they might look to deal for a guy like Vasquez to replace him. Kevon Looney was the Warriors pick last season that couldn’t get healthy. He appears healthy now but is unlikely to crack the rotation of the Warriors super team. Trey Lyles of the Utah Jazz showed some good things in his rookie season, but will find a hard time getting minutes playing behind Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert. Dario Saric is finally coming to the Sixers, but it’s the worst possible situation as the Sixers are stacked with big men. With Jerryd Bayless being the only ball-handling guard the Sixers have they might look to add a player like Vasquez.

Greivis Vasquez is a veteran who will provide a positive impact for the Brooklyn Nets on and off the court. With Sean Marks at the helm, he should be able to get a quality asset in return for Vasquez at the trade deadline.

“Your feedback below my article would help improve the quality of future articles”